I’ve been vegan for a week…except for two meals that were out of my control (thank you Mac’s Speed Shop for running out of veggie burgers last Wednesday). Meals have not been difficult to manage as we’ve discovered a few new amazing restaurants to visit (I’ve been to Luna’s Living Kitchen three times), rediscovered an old favorite (Phat Burrito makes an amazing vegan burrito), and spent extended grocery time at my favorite grocery store in the world, Earthfare.
Even after consulting with experts who make vegan food for a living, the best meal I’ve had was made for me today by my amazing wife. I’m happy to say she also managed to keep her streak alive — she’s now cooked for me exactly one time each year since we first got together. She definitely makes it count as these tacos were tasty, filling, and just downright exceptional. The key is getting substance in the taco (typically provided by proteins) via the potato, which will also provides a great contrast to the brightness and crispiness of the vegetables and lime juice. Appropriately seasoning and crisping the potato is what transforms this meal.
Why am I sharing this:
- Incredibly tasty with ingredients that are readily available at any grocery store, I believe these tacos would satisfy vegans, vegetarians, and carnivores alike.
- 20 Minutes (how fast can you dice?)
- 45 Minutes (it’s all about roasting the potatoes)
- 1 Large Roasting Potato
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Stalk of Celery
- 1 Small Onion
- 1 Scallion
- 1 Bell Pepper
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper
- 1/2 Can White Corn
- 1 Tsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Lime
- 1 Packet Taco Seasoning
- Corn Tortillas
- Olive Oil
- Salt, Pepper
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Peel potato. Cut into equal sized cubes. Mix together with 3 Tbsp Olive Oil and Taco Seasoning to taste. Make sure potatoes are fully coated. Rest on roasting pan and cook in oven for 35 minutes (agitate and turn potatoes over after 15 minutes and 30 minutes to ensure even cooking). Monitor to ensure potatoes get to right crispiness. (Tip: If you have potato/corn starch handy, consider a light dusting of the potato cubes as your final step to help them get even crispier as they roast.)
- As potatoes cook, dice celery, onion, scallion, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper and combine with 1/2 can of corn (rinsed) in a bowl with juice from 1 lime and 1 Tsp minced garlic. Salt and pepper to taste. (Tip: My wife also roasted the jalapeno because she’s fancy–I’m streamlining the recipe to quicken the pace for you.)
- Scoop avocado and cut into sizable chunks. Dress with 1/2 lime.
- When potatoes are fully cooked, remove from oven. Set up assembly line of potatoes, veggie mixture, and avocado.
- Heat corn tortillas and assemble tacos. Serve with lime wedges.
- Enjoy and sing the praises of my wife, my cousin (Chanda Masi), and her buddy (Tyler).